LORD LUGARD HALL IN KADUNA
Named after the colonial High Commissioner to Northern Nigeria Frederick John Dealtry Lugard (1900-1906).
Available records at the Kaduna State House of Assembly library indicated that Lugard Hall, located at the centre of Kaduna was built by the British colonial masters as imitation of the British House of Commons and Lords, and the third of its kind in the world. Lugard Hall is divided into three sections namely (1) The Lugard Memorial Chamber otherwise the Northern Council of Chiefs (2) House of Assembly and (3) The Assembly Service Commission.
The House of Chiefs (Council of Chiefs) was created by the by the Richards Constitution of 1946 and its cornerstone was laid by the Sultan of Sokoto Sir Abubakar III on June 27 1947. The Sultan was assisted by Sir Arthur F. Richard, the Governor and Commander-in-Chief during the exercise.
The Lugard Memorial Chamber with the capacity of between 150-200 seats, 4 committee rooms including a Members’ Lounge and a basement served as the meeting hall for the Northern traditional rulers till 1966 when it was abolished following a military coup. It also consisted of 3 lobbies, offices and two separate maintenance units attached to the main block law.
The foundation stone of the building was laid by the late Sardauna of Sokoto and Premier of Northern Nigeria Sir Ahmadu Bello.
Like most colonial buildings, it was situated away from the local residences but a stone’s throw to the Lugard Hall. A tall concrete structure was built in front of the house few meters away from the gate where visitors were searched. The structure was said to have been used for a number of purposes including surveillance. The structure is solid and intact but left in poor state surrounded by grasses and other unwanted objects. It can be viewed from several parts of the city.
Source: Gossip House